Long Time Coming

After many months of training, freaking out and sleepless nights, I did it. Let’s start from the beginning, shall we?


Gear all laid out the night before. The 5:30 time was my anticpated finishing time with a pace group.


My number! They went from 1-44,000


My sister in law, Candy, was kind enough to borrow a bib from a friend who dropped out so she could show me the ropes. It was a balmy 33 degrees when we left the house.



Check out the dragon.




My crew made me some awesome signs. They met me several times during the race and helped me tremendously.


This is early in the race. I was ditching my gloves and feeling pretty good.



Someone ditched these sweet Bears gloves on the side of the road and Collin couldn’t pass them up. It was cold!


First shot of me post-race. Wearing 4 layers of clothes and a mylar wrap and still freezing.


I’m totally Michael Phelps here.


Finisher’s Medal


Flowers from Collin and the Chicago skyline.


With two of my biggest fans.


The pictures don’t really tell the whole story of my marathon experience. I felt great and was running at 5 hour pace until mile 16 or so. At that point, I had to pull over to the side to puke (sorry for the detail) and then hit a brick wall. I started to walk/run for awhile and then when I met up with my family again at mile 20.5 I was done for… My kidneys/back were screaming with pain and I just couldn’t run anymore. Collin’s mom offered to walk awhile with me (just a breazy 6 miles) and off we went. I stopped off to try to pee hoping that the back pain would go away but instead I ended up throwing up again. I met up with Nick and Collin again pretty close to the finish line. They were super supportive and helped me get almost all the way there before I had to throw up again. I picked myself up and ended up jogging (slowly) across the finish line.

I’ve never had any problems like this with running before. I’m pretty sure I was dehydrated and that’s why my kidneys hurt but I couldn’t keep water down so it was a lose-lose situation.

I go back and forth between being proud of myself and being disappointed in myself. I can’t help but think I could have done better or pushed myself farther. My training could have been better for sure. I know not that many people can say they finished a marathon but I feel I could have and should have done better.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Long Time Coming

  1. Lauren Colwell says:

    You are awesome! You puked and kept going… sounds like you’re a real marathoner to me. I say be proud. 🙂

  2. Kristal says:

    You should definitely be proud. Finishing when you feel like total crap is a huge accomplishment. I can’t imagine throwing up 3 times and still finishing the race – that takes serious determination!

  3. julia says:

    Woah, you are HARD CORE puking and still finishing! You are awesome girl and it makes no difference how long it took….you have the medal and are a marathoner now! Congrats, enjoy it, and maybe you’ll want to do it all over again with more strict training and more water. Silly girl, you need to slam that stuff!

  4. Emily says:

    I think you did great and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your pics… thats my H-Dawg… getting the job done!! Congrats!

  5. Lori says:

    You are always so hard on yourself! Honestly, you showed your husband, brother, and friends that were there that you have much bigger gooseberries than they do.

    Take it easy and drink lots of water still. I worried all weekend cuz I was afraid you wouldn’t have enough protein to keep you going. Love love love you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s